‘We need to see results’: Philippines to launch nationwide protest over the killing of a Filipino journalist

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday said his administration will launch nationwide protests against the killing last week of a journalist in the Philippines.“The next day, we will start to hold a nationwide protest against the assassination of Mr Mariano, and we will continue to hold protests until we see results,” Duterte said in a…

Published by admin inJuly 27, 2021
Tags: ,

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday said his administration will launch nationwide protests against the killing last week of a journalist in the Philippines.

“The next day, we will start to hold a nationwide protest against the assassination of Mr Mariano, and we will continue to hold protests until we see results,” Duterte said in a speech at the presidential palace.

“We need the results.

I will tell you that I have already given my personal guarantee to the president that the results will be delivered in the next 48 hours,” he added.”

I can assure you that the president, I believe, will get the results and I will not let anybody or anybody do it,” he said.”

Our people are going to demand the results, and they will come,” Duterte added.’

We are ready’Pasig City, on the outskirts of Manila, was on the front line of a battle between Duterte’s forces and pro-government forces, who were battling for control of a key military airbase.

On Thursday, the Philippines Army said the soldier had been killed during clashes at the base, a position he had taken from rebels during a recent campaign of military operations in Lanao del Sur province.

“Today, the commander of the 7th Armored Brigade was killed in the hands of the enemy, who attacked the base in Pasig City,” a military statement said.’

They’re in control of this place’Duterte has said the government will “take care” of the troops in the base and they are “in control of the place”.

“The troops are in control.

I want them to stay, I want to give them a full and complete peace, and that’s all that I can ask for,” he told a news conference on Friday.”

When we were told about the military operation in Pasigs, they said they had been informed about the plan to destroy the base.

So now, when we are told that the military is moving into that area, we are ready.

We are ready,” he continued.

Duterte’s comments came after the Philippine military said it had captured two fighters believed to be members of a pro-Government rebel group operating in the city.

The Philippine military has not confirmed the reported capture, but said on Thursday it was trying to track down the rebels.

“If there is anyone who knows who those people are, please come forward and tell us, or give us some information that will enable us to track them down,” said Col Raul Villanueva, spokesman for the Philippine army.

“The military is in a tough situation in this province.

We will continue our operation there.”

Pasigs, about 30km (19 miles) south-east of Manila is a stronghold of pro-Duterte rebels who seized control of parts of the city from the government in late 2016 and are considered a security threat to Duterte.

The Philippines is a major supplier of troops to the US-led alliance against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).